4 Ways to Make Every Moment Count as a Working Mother
I was early to pick my son up from school yesterday - for the very first time. I was early because he had told me that the reason he stubbed his toe at the end of the previous day was "because you weren't there." That hurt - more than the stubbed toe. It is one of the most difficult and important things in the world to make the most of your time... especially as a working mother.
For the past few years, I have been mothering two beautiful young men (currently aged 3 and 4), founding a start-up, working part time in a career at an Investment Bank that took a decade to build and was something else entirely to balance with two young sons, two house moves, several bouts of immigration planning sessions etc... it is the stuff we all have to cope with. Daily. There are so few hours in the day that working mothers try desperately to make every thirty minutes count. And we still have to look hot! Or kind-of okay in my case - most days.
We forget that the fifteen-to-twenty minutes that we make our kids wait for us because we had to fit that last thing in add up... they do. When I saw my son coming back from library with his class - I saw him first - he looked deep in thought. He is related to me, after all! Then he looked up as he heard me call his name and all the colours of the rainbow of joy spread across his face as he ran into my open arms. Wow. It's been a while since I got a greeting like that from him actually...
I think I'll make SURE I'm on time today.
So how can we make the most of every moment with ourselves, our faith, our husbands, our kids, our companies, our pet projects? How can we make every moment count so that our lives start to become a tapestry of happy moments woven together rather than a running together of wet colours in an oil painting where everything ends up brown from all the over mixing and rushing around?
1) Prioritise. What is most important to you? Do more of that and less of everything else...
2) Clear your diary. Just say no. I am over over-committing. I want to be on time for my kids.
3) Pause to breathe. I've noticed that when I am in a good and positive mood, with energy to share, the rest of my family is too. Things just seem to happen easier that way. Less tantrums, less raised voices, more aaaaaahhhhh
4) Sing. Even if you do it badly. Kids LOVE to hear your croaky voice - it makes them feel free to use their own! My son has recently started singing "rock 'n roll" in the car with his Dad... "Are we human? Or are we dancer?"... that song is replacing Brahms Lullaby as his favorite goodnight song... maybe it's a good thing.
5) Sign up for the Working Mothers Expo VIP Waiting List and book your diaries for the Working Mothers Expo, brought to you in partnership with MiWay Life, bringing together everything a working mother needs under one roof at the Sandton Convention Centre.
Now, we would love to hear from you… how do you handle all the demands on your time? Do you have some tips to share on how to make space in your diary for the important things in life? Or find just a brief moment in-between the chaos to breathe? The truth is that we’re all in this together and your comments could help thousands of mums around the world find their own space to take the time they need and, more importantly, realize that they are not alone in the challenges they face…
If you found this article helpful, we would be honored if you would share it with your friends via email or social media, sign up for the Working Mothers Expo VIP Waiting List and book your diaries for an event you will not want to miss
See you soon!
The Working Mothers Expo, brought to you in partnership with MiWay Life, brings together everything a working mother needs under one roof on 4-6 November at the Sandton Convention Centre. Take a step back from your hectic schedule, make some time to reflect, hear an inspiring speaker, indulge in some retail therapy and connect with other working mothers. We would like to create some dedicated time in your schedule that is all about you.
It's time to take a moment. Join our VIP Waiting List
If you would like to inquire about sponsoring or exhibiting at the event, please email us and we will send you all the details you need